Wednesday 2 January 2019

3 Days from Cutter Down to Needle Up

Hi Friends.
In the past, I have maintained a Cross Stitch blog - Bronny's Bits.  I eased off in 2012 somewhat drastically when my lifestyle changed and a daily cross-stitch was not an option.
In the past 2-3 years however, quilting has crept into my life and I like the (almost) instant gratification of a quilt top in a weekend.
Such was the case this New Years weekend.  The featured quilt top here took 3 days from applying the rotary cutter to the fabric, to lifting the needle from the machine - hence the title of this new blog.
I hope to document as we go along, my patchwork and quilting journey, and perhaps pick up a few new friends along the way.  I intend to include retrospective quilts I've made and document their story. 
The pattern for this quilt can be found on the Jordan Fabrics website - it is a free pattern called Ribbons.  I saw the tutorial on You-Tube a month or so ago and liked that it will use up a full layer cake.  There is very little wastage, and I like that idea too.  I had bought a mystery layer cake from MSQC (good value these mystery layer cakes) - the mystery fabric was possibly a discontinued line, but was called Chantrell, by Anne Rowan for Wilmington fabrics.  This line features butterflies, white flowers and green ferns, with both black and cream backgrounds.  It is a bit busier than the fabrics chosen by Jordan Fabrics, but overall, this works well.  It fits a double bed edge to edge.
I will bind this one with charcoal binding for a dramatic finish.  I'm also planning to use a vintage pale sage green damask tablecloth as the backing.  The finished size will fit nicely on a double bed.

Please join me on my quilting journey.  I will design and update this blog shortly, but really wanted to get this started tonight.

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back, I remember reading your blog about cross stitching.
    Your quilt top is beautiful, love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Bronny! Good to see you back and creating again. Charcoal binding sounds perfect for your quilt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you have been very productive Bronny. Lovely quilt.
    Kay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Meu glorioso São José nos abençoe o nosso Brasil são tem piedade dos dessempregado e todos os moradores de rua Amèm

    ReplyDelete